Monday, August 13, 2012

Musique Concrète (Candide, 196?)



Pierre Schaeffer helped form Studio d'Essai de la Radiodiffusion-Télévision Française in France during World War II. Initially serving the French Resistance, Studio d'Essai became a hub for musical development centered around implementing electronic devices in compositions. It was from this group that musique concrète was developed. A type of electroacoustic music, musique concrète is characterized by its use of recorded sound, electronics, tape, animate and inanimate sound sources, and various manipulation techniques. The pieces heard on this album were composed by members of Groupe de Recherches de Musicales. I've included scans of the insert containing notes for each piece. Listen.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to have found this! I moved to Minneapolis in 1983 and found this record at the public library there. I've had a tape copy ever since, but don't play it very often due to age! There also used to be a great radio show on the public radio station there, called POEME ELECTRONIQUE. It opened my ears to a LOT of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful album, thank you. It's a shame you seem to have given up on this blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this on vinyl. Excellent record. My turntable's broken, and so I really appreciate this post. Also: a complaint: 4shared sucks. Mediafire, zippyshare, heck - even depositfiles is better than 4shared...

    ReplyDelete